Resume of Darwin Sanoy
Architecting Solutions, Writing Code, and Helping Others
Lean / Agile team player building DevOps, CI/CD and automation tooling in the Cloud for Windows, Linux and Cloud Native. Collaborator who shares ideas and discoveries via open source participation, blogging, training and conference speaking. Whether I'm coding a solution or managing it (or both), I love to build value-dense technology tools that people are excited to adopt.
Go to Work History
Recent activites I am particularly excited to have been involved in:
- Certification as Professional Scrum Product Owner
- Service Management of Source Code Management as a Service (Product / Service Manager) - drove the internal enterprise-wide Source Code Management as a Service initiative to GA. Continue doing product and service management of this service. Based on a highly available, containerized, DevOps automated implementation of Gitlab CE/Core.
- Initiated Book Discussion Group Among Cross-Team Peers: Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter
- Initiate and Drive Key DevOps Tooling Policies - initiated and drove to completion on Accelerated (Supported) OS Platforms policy as well as Acceptable Use Policy of SCM as a Service.
- Product Owner / Scrum Master for Linux Template AMI CI Automation 15 Day Refactor - managed a small scrum team to refactor Linux Image CI Automation to: a) add QA testing framework and CI phase, b) remove salt dependencies, c) decouple hardening into a separate product to allow better community maintenance and reusability for other distros.
- Shifted Tooling from "Shared Source" to "Product Managed" - needs recognition, initiation and driving of effort to transition DevOps tooling from "internal shared source" approach to "product managed" approach.
- Fostering of Internal Shared Source for DevOps Tooling - initiate and maintain momentum of automation tooling that is voluntarily maintained by application developer customers. Includes product management oversight for solution security, truly reusable tooling (toolization) and publicity of resultant projects to other development teams.
- Strategic Refactoring and Templating of DevOps Tooling for Ruggedness, Reusability and Supportability (Product Management / Innovative Architecture) - brought product management to offering by initiating, designing and refactoring of automation code to decouple it from orchestration to enable expanded adoption across an additional 66% of managed systems. Enabled using any orchestration technology they wish, including other clouds and outside of cloud (on prem). Dramatic improvements in ruggedness and supportability by coding normal troubleshooting steps into automation as "pre-checks". Improvements setup as a template that allows rapid development of similar automation by team mates or other teams.
- Open Source Universal Installer for Windows OpenSSH - easy installation of Windows OpenSSH for any version of Windows from Windows 7 through Nano Server. (Installer Instructions)
- Windows Image Template AMI CI Automation - an automated CI pipeline that uses one code base but works in straight PowerShell and under Jenkins CI to build 5 different Windows Server images (2012 R2 GUI and Core, 2016 GUI, Core and Container Host). Includes fully automated QA and distribution to relevant regions and accounts.
- AWS Cloud Design and Deployment w/ Least Privilege Security Built-in for productionization of AWS based Continuous Delivery solution, including least-privilege throughout (at the AWS level and on individual instances), built-in monitoring, one-way security gating to production environment, implementation of CIS AWS Foundations Benchmark security standard.
- Package Repository Implementation for storage, archiving and provision of NuGet artifacts. Reviewed and Prototyped ProGet and Nexus Repository. Implemented Nexus Repository on both Windows and Linux.
- Complex Automation of Developer Workstation which included full development environment and full test environment. Automation could be layered onto a real, virtual or cloud based machine on Windows 8 through Server 2012 R2.
- Chocolatey NuGet Automation Implementation for infrastructure automation as well as enhanced code deployment packaging. Built over 30 packages with some contributed to open source. Provided guidance and patterns for Chocolatey NuGet packaging as well as for automating Chocolatey packaging under TeamCity.
- Lead Developer and Architect for PowerShell infrastructure automation framework used to build 10 different server tiers for customer facing SaaS solution. Solution code idempotent, followed PowerShell development best practices, deployed on Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2, handled global logging and used remoting for kick off.
- Lead Developer and Advocate for 5500 line PowerShell automation framework template for use by my entire team and designed to work on 18,000 machines running 3 versions of Windows, 2 versions of PowerShell, 17 OS MUI languages in 32-bit and 64-bit PowerShell.exe.
- PowerShell Mentorship via internal mentorship & advocacy programs and yammer blogging.
- DevOps Advocacy via conference speaking at 3 conferences and public blogging. Recent speaking: http://www.darwinsanoy.com/work.html#ConferenceSpeaking
- Participation in the New World of Windows Deployment Automation via Chocolatey Nuget Package Authoring - of many packages. Following the many exciting changes in application packaging in Windows 10.
Location: Phoenixville, PA