Systems Architect, Mentor and DevOps Advocate
Subject matter expert in Windows software deployment automation, compatibility and troubleshooting with broad experience in PowerShell for deployment and configuration automation. Lean / Agile team player actively advocating DevOps practices such as security built-in, monitoring built-in and ruggedness built-in. Dabbler in Linux software administration and OS configuration for over a decade. Collaborator who shares ideas and discoveries via open source participation, blogging, training and conference speaking.
Recent projects I am particularly excited to have been involved in:
- Initiate and Drive Change in Tooling Management Method - needs recognition, initiation and driving of effort to transition DevOps tooling from "internal shared source" approach to "product managed" approach.
- GA and Ongoing Service Management of Source Code Management as a Service - drove the internal GitLab based SCM as a Service initiative to GA. Continued product and service management of this service.
- Initiate and Drive Key DevOps Tooling Policies - initiated and drove to completion a "Supported OS Platforms" policy as well as Acceptable Use of SCM as a Service policy.
- Fostering of Internal Shared Source for DevOps Tooling - initiate and maintain momentum of automation tooling that is voluntarily maintained by application developer customers. Includes oversight for solution security, truly reusable tooling (toolization) and publicity of resultant projects to other development teams.
- Strategic Refactoring and Templating of DevOps Tooling for Ruggedness, Reusability and Supportability - Initiated and drove refactoring of automation code to decouple it from orchestration to enable reuse by large segments of the company using any orchestration technology they wish, including other clouds and outside of cloud (on prem). Dramatic improvements in ruggedness and supportability by coding normal troubleshooting steps into automation as "pre-checks". Improvements setup as a template that allows rapid development of similar automation by team mates or other teams.
- Open Source Universal Installer for Windows OpenSSH - easy installation of Windows OpenSSH for any version of Windows from Windows 7 through Nano Server. (Installer Instructions)
- Windows Image Template AMI CI Automation- an automated CI pipeline that uses one code base but works in straight PowerShell and under Jenkins CI to build 5 different Windows Server images (2012 R2 GUI and Core, 2016 GUI, Core and Container Host).
- Jenkins Blue Ocean - implementation on Windows and Linux.
- AWS Cloud Design and Deployment w/ Least Privilege Security Built-in for productionization of AWS based Continuous Delivery solution, including least-privilege throughout (at the AWS level and on individual instances), built-in monitoring, one-way security gating to production environment, implementation of CIS AWS Foundations Benchmark security standard.
- Certification as AWS Solutions Architect.
- Implementation of Multi-Factor Authentication for AWS environment access via VPN and IAM security including self-enrollment procedures and documentation.
- Binary Artifact Repository Implementation for storage, archiving and provision of NuGet artifacts. Reviewed and Prototyped ProGet and Nexus Repository. Implemented Nexus Repository on both Windows and Linux.
- Complex Automation of Developer Workstation which included full development environment and full test environment. Automation could be layered onto a real, virtual or cloud based machine on Windows 8 through Server 2012 R2.
- Chocolatey NuGet Automation Implementation for infrastructure automation as well as enhanced code deployment packaging. Built over 30 packages with some contributed to open source. Provided guidance and patterns for Chocolatey NuGet packaging as well as for automating Chocolatey packaging under TeamCity.
- Lead Developer and Architect for PowerShell infrastructure automation framework used to build 10 different server tiers for customer facing SaaS solution. Solution code idempotent, followed PowerShell development best practices, deployed on Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2, handled global logging and used remoting for kick off.
- Lead Developer and Advocate for 5500 line PowerShell automation framework template for use by my entire team and designed to work on 18,000 machines running 3 versions of Windows, 2 versions of PowerShell, 17 OS MUI languages in 32-bit and 64-bit PowerShell.exe.
- Design and Coding of PowerShell Infrastructure Automation Framework for building out full stack of a SaaS solution hosted in Azure for production, but capable of running on over 5 different cloud and local hypervisors. SaaS solution includes automation updates (e.g. PowerShell Version) SQL, IIS, supporting software and 2 in-house software packages and installs on both 2008 R2 and 2012 R2.
- PowerShell Mentorship via internal mentorship & advocacy programs and yammer blogging.
- DevOps Advocacy via conference speaking at 3 conferences and public blogging. Recent speaking: http://www.darwinsanoy.com/work.html#ConferenceSpeaking
- Practice and Promotion of DevOps and Agile IT Culture and Tools - using the "Vanguard Method" of grassroots change by practicing new ideas among peers and proactively sharing new knowledge through learning sessions, initiating direct collaboration and Yammer blogs and posts.
- Participation in the New World of Windows Deployment Automation via Chocolatey Nuget Package Authoring - of many packages. Following the many exciting changes in application packaging in Windows 10.
Location: Limerick, PA