Resume of Darwin Sanoy
Architecting Solutions, Writing Code, and Growing Others
Lean / Agile team player building DevOps, CI/CD and automation tooling in the Cloud for Windows, Linux and Cloud Native. Collaborator who shares ideas and discoveries via open source participation, blogging, training and conference speaking. Coach who takes an active interest in growing others through mentoring, delegation and knowledge sharing. Whether I'm coding a solution or managing it (or both), I love to build value-dense technology tools that people are excited to adopt.
In a given week I spend 65-70% of my time in technical designing and coding and the remainder in technology, team and work management.
Go to Work History or Go to Deep Dives
Current and recently completed activities I am particularly excited about:
- Pursing AWS Certfied DevOps Engineer and AWS Certified Security Specialty
- Certification as Professional Scrum Master and Professional Scrum Product Owner
- Service Management of Source Code Management as a Service Running GitLab Software (Developer / Product / Service Manager) - drove the internal enterprise-wide Source Code Management as a Service initiative to GA. Ongoing IaC coding, product management and service management of this service. Based on a highly available, containerized, DevOps automated implementation of GitLab CE/Core.
- Initiated Book Discussion Group Among Cross-Team Peers: Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter
- Strategic Refactoring of Linux and Windows DevOps Agent Deployment for Ruggedness, Reusability and Supportability (Coding / Product Management / Customer Driven Architecture) - brought product management to offering by initiating, designing and refactoring of automation code to decouple it from one orchestration technology to enable expanded adoption across an additional 20,000 instances (total of 30,000). This enabled tooling users to deploy using any orchestration technology they wish, including other clouds and outside of cloud (on prem). Developed in Bash for Linux and PowerShell for Windows. Dramatic improvements in ruggedness and supportability by coding normal troubleshooting steps into automation as "preflight checks". Self-monitor functionality uses scheduled jobs for health checking and lightweight auto-healing. This framework is implemented as scaffoldable Bash and PowerShell templates that allows rapid development of similar automation by teammates or other teams. Deep Dive of This Project.
- Security: Innovative Patch Maintenance Solution for Linux AWS ASGs (Coding / Innovative Architecture) - ASG configuration that enables Linux Kernel patches to be taken during initial deployment, ASG scalaing launches and retriggered by simply re-running CloudFormation stack. Details here.
- Initiated, Collaborated and Released Key DevOps Tooling Policies - initiated and drove to completion on Accelerated (Supported) OS Platforms policy as well as Acceptable Use Policy of SCM as a Service.
- Install-PowerShell.sh - built first universal MacOS / Linux installer framework in Bash to install PowerShell Core / 7 on any supported Mac or Linux distro from a single, run from GitLab script. See the docs and code.
- Multiple Bash / PowerShell Parity Functionality Open Source Code Projects - I periodically push my automation skills in these foundational languages with open source projects that build the same functionality for Linux using Bash and Windows using PowerShell. Example: Concise Preflight TCP Connect Testing in Bash and PowerShell. Example: Innovative AWS EBS Volume Initialization in Bash and PowerShell.
- Product Owner / Scrum Master for Linux Template AMI CI Automation 15 Day Refactor - managed a small scrum team to refactor Linux Image CI Automation to: a) add QA testing framework and CI phase, b) remove salt dependencies, c) decouple hardening into a separate product to allow better community maintenance and reusability for other distros.
- Developer and Service Manager for Monthly OS Image Releases for Linux and Windows - update CI / CD automation for both Linux and Windows and ensure release date schedule is met. These images are engineered to be used for 30,000 instances running a huge variety of software stacks.
- Shifted Key Tooling from "Shared Source" to "Product Managed" - needs recognition, initiation and shepherding of effort to transition DevOps tooling from "internal shared source" approach to "product managed" approach.
- Windows Image Template AMI CI Automation - built an automated CI pipeline that uses one code base but runs under the PowerShell Core command line, Jenkins CI (Linux Host) and GitLab CI (Linux Docker) to build 5 different Windows Server images (2012 R2 GUI and Core, 2016 GUI, Core and Container Host). Includes fully automated QA and distribution to relevant regions and accounts.
- Fostering of Internal Shared Source for DevOps Tooling - initiate and maintain momentum of automation tooling that is voluntarily maintained by application developer customers. Includes product management oversight for solution security, truly reusable tooling (toolization) and publicity of resultant projects to other development teams.
- AWS Cloud Design and Deployment w/ Least Privilege Security Built-in for productionization of AWS based Continuous Delivery solution, including least-privilege throughout (at the AWS level and on individual instances), built-in monitoring, one-way security gating to production environment, implementation of CIS AWS Foundations Benchmark security standard. Deep Dive of This Project.
- Package Repository Implementation for storage, archiving and provision of NuGet artifacts. Reviewed and Prototyped ProGet and Nexus Repository. Implemented Nexus Repository on both Windows and Linux.
- Complex Automation of Developer Workstation which included full development environment and full test environment. Automation could be layered onto a real, virtual or cloud based machine on Windows 8 through Server 2012 R2. Visual Design for This Project.
- Chocolatey NuGet Automation Implementation for infrastructure automation as well as enhanced code deployment packaging. Built over 30 packages with some contributed to open source. Allowed resultant packages to be used in three types of Developer workstation builds and to build CI machines. Visual Design for This Project.
- Lead Developer and Advocate for 5500 line PowerShell automation framework template for use by my entire team and designed to work on 18,000 machines running 3 versions of Windows, 2 versions of PowerShell, 17 OS MUI languages in 32-bit and 64-bit PowerShell.exe.
- DevOps Advocacy via conference speaking and public blogging. Recent speaking: http://www.darwinsanoy.com/work.html#ConferenceSpeaking
- Open Source Chocolatey Nuget Package Author for key packages such as PowerShell Core / 7 and OpenSSH.
Go to References
Location: Phoenixville, PA